Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility!
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotel is engaged with Rezidor Hotel Group corporate international charity organization, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of Childhood is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
The hotel is also involved with local charity group Ronald McDonald House Charities (RHMC) Latvija. RHMC Latvija operates Care Mobile, a clinic on wheels for children under 18. Working closely with some of the country’s best doctors, they provide planned medical care for children who are unable to visit medical specialists.
Hotel receives Green Key and Green Light certificates
The Green Key is an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments. Organisations award the Green Key according to technical management criteria and criteria on communication. On-site checks are performed regularly on all Green Key owners.
Green Light is an ongoing voluntary program whereby private and public organisations commit to the European Commission to reduce their lighting energy usages, thus reducing polluting emissions. Green Light was launched in February 2000.
RB activities and achievements of the hotel include:
- Building Management System to ensure energy-efficient operation of technical systems
- Collecting used batteries and fluorescent bulbs
- Constant upgrade of ventilation and cooling systems in order to save energy
- Donating small guest room amenities (shampoos, conditioners, slippers, etc.) to the orphanages Integration Centre Bērnu Oāze and Tiskādu Orphanage
- Donation of food packages, household goods, clothes, toys, shoes and baby clothes by hotel employees to regional establishment Inčukalna for disabled and indigent people
- Encouraging business partners to support Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija and Care Mobil
- Exchanging towels only on guest request (if left on the floor)
- Main switch operated with key card in hotel rooms to reduce the consumption of electricity
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Ongoing exchange to low-energy bulbs and LED lighting
- Pre-sorting waste and reducing its volume by involving employees and guests
- Preventive maintenance program to save electricity and water
- Providing ongoing Responsible Business training for all employees
- Regular donations of textiles and toys to the local Red Cross
- Supporting charity organization Festivālu fonds
- Volunteering at Malta Cross Soup Kitchen once a month