History of the Gewandhaus
The first Gewandhaus (a building for the production and selling of clothes) opens at the Old Market Square. It functions as a domicile for clothiers and dressmakers and also for events and market days.
The Gewandhaus serves as city hall.
Due to a shortage of rooms in the Gewandhaus, a disused synagogue ( Jüdenhof at the New Market Square) is set up as a cloth hall, armoury, silo and brewery.
1591 - 92
Construction of the "second Gewandhaus" begins between Frauengasse and Jüdenhof. The basement is used for trade, and the upper floor is used for theatre and clothes selling.
1760 - 61
During the Seven Years' War the building is completely destroyed.
1768 - 1770
The "third Gewandhaus," combining rococo and classical styles, is built. For 58,000 thaler, Johann Friedrich Knöbel builds the Gewandhaus on its current spot between Ring and Gewandhausstrasse. In addition to rooms for trade are administrative offices and one of the largest halls in Dresden, home to music sessions by the court orchestra.
The building is reconstructed to house the city bank.
The Gewandhaus is again destroyed during World War II bomb attacks on Dresden.
1956 - 1958
The front of the building is secured.
1964 - 76
Rebuilding starts with a commitment to preserving the original design. The atrium and the beautiful Dinglinger Fountain (by court jeweller Johann Melchior Dinglinger) make eye-catching features. The Gewandhaus begins its life as the 200-bed Gewandhaus Palais Hotel.
The Gewandhaus passes into private hands as another hotel.
8 September 1997
The five-star Radisson SAS Gewandhaus Hotel opens its doors with 97 beautiful guest rooms.
The 10th anniversary of the Radisson SAS Gewandhaus Hotel is celebrated.
The Radisson SAS Gewandhaus Hotel is renamed the Radisson Blu Gewandhaus Hotel.