Responsible Business – Let’s take responsibility!
Hotel practises Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
RB achievements of this hotel include:
Green Key certification:
The Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam proudly possesses Green Key Gold status. Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to leisure organizations and facilities that meet an extensive array of environmental requirements. Besides environmental demands, the criteria include demands on policy, action plans, education and communication. Organizations must demonstrate responsibility for surroundings and society. Organizations are graded bronze, silver or gold depending on their level of compliance.
- Our activities to benefit the World Childhood Foundation include a 220-kilometer bike challenge, a collection box at the front office and participation in sponsored races.
- Staff serves soup to the homeless in association with the Salvation Army.
- The hotel sponsors the Ronald McDonald Children’s Charities.
- We organise an annual charity event for KIKA (Children Cancer-free).
Waste generation control:
- Reduce: Hotel suppliers are asked to decrease packaging; portion packs are avoided when possible.
- Reuse: We print papers on both sides and donate used furniture, bedding and equipment to charity.
- Recycle: The hotel collects paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, metal cans, oil, printer cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, CD-ROMs, magnetic cards, batteries and metal hangers for recycling.
- A keycard-operated main switch controls lights in guest rooms.
- Elevators have counter weights to reduce energy consumption.
- Energy-efficient light bulbs are used throughout the hotel.
- We have a security manager, managers on duty and regular security training.
- Staff train in first aid and the HeartStart defibrillator.
- The hotel employs the TRIC formula: Threat assessment, Risk evaluation, Incident response, Crisis management and communication.
- All job descriptions include Responsible Business activities.
- More than 80% of employees use public transportation to help reduce urban air pollution.
- We track and report the number of copies and prints monthly.
How guests help:
- Become a Club Carlson member and help environmental projects in cooperation with a carbon offset organization.
- Donate such unwanted items as toiletries, towels and clothes by leaving them with housekeeping staff or dropping them off at reception.
- Place used batteries in one of the hotel's battery boxes.
- Return corks to the hotel restaurant for recycling.
- Reuse towels.
- Save energy by switching off appliances when they are not in use.
- Use public transport.