Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
This Berlin lodging is engaged with both local charity groups and Rezidor's corporate international charity organisation, the World Childhood Foundation, whose mission is to defend the rights of children and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Responsible Business activities and achievements:
- This Berlin hotel has been awarded the Green Key, an international eco-label.
- Godparent of the association neuhland e.V, the hotel supports the children's group with different yearly events and donations
- The hotel is an affiliate of the association Herzenswünsche e.V., an association that acts nationwide and fulfills wishes of critically ill children and teenagers.
- The hotel sells raffle tickets during each year’s summer staff party (5 EUR per ticket); proceeds are donated for social projects, like the World Childhood Foundation 2012
- Installation of an electric car charging station - July 2012
- Support of the association Tschernobylkinderhilfe e.V. (Chernobyl child aid) – the hotel packed 24 backpacks with a drinking bottle, travelling fare and a painting set for Ukrainian children, living in socially disadvantaged families living in villages and cities of the Chernobyl region. The association invited the children to a four-weeks holiday in Bavaria and the hotel surprised the kids with the backpacks on their first stop in Germany on the Berlin main train station – June 2012
- Thoughtfulness and collective responsibility towards elderly people: the hotel staff organized a summer party of the retirement home Seniorenresidenz Bürgerpark GmbH in Berlin-Pankow for approx. 180 persons in collaboration with the Carnival Kids Berlin, who presented a show programme – Mai 2012
- Action of an Adidas football hand signed by the German football league 1. FC Kaiserslautern! Proceed is used for social projects organized by the hotels – March 2012
- Clothing donations to day-care organisation „Mut zur Nachbarschaft“ Berlin for homeless people – February 2012
- Support of the Christmas Wishes association Laughing Hearts – hotel guests and staff organized personal Christmas wishes of orphans living in Berlin children homes. The wish cards were hanging in the hotels Christmas tree in the lobby and handed out to the association before Christmas – December 2011
- Clothing donations for Africa – donated to the Christ Embassy Berlin – September 2011
- Responsible Business Action Month: cycling action to support the World Childhood Foundation: hotel staff cycled in two day 360 km on home trainers in the lobby and collated 361,66 EUR from guest. As the goal was 5 EUR per 2,5 km. the management added the missing amount and donated in total 720 EUR on World Childhood Foundation – September 2011
- Benefit trip with the hotel boat Adele on the River Spree
- Benefit visit to the Sea Life Center Berlin
- Blood donation day in cooperation with DRK
- Effective waste recycling system for glass, paper, metal, plastic, organic waste and batteries
- GoldPoint members and meeting planners can exchange Gold Points® to offset their CO2 footprint
- Healthy food option in our restaurant and for meeting & events
- Installation of 5 tub water dispensers for staff
- Installation of "water savers" for all guest rooms and spa area
- Installation on timed controlled air condition and ventilation plants
- Use of unbleached toilet paper only
- Non-smoking work environment
- Sale of seasonal dishes for a good cause
- Support of "Weihnachten im Schuhkarton“ (Christmas in a shoe box) by “Geschenke der Hoffnung e.V.” (presents for hope) – 2010 the hotel donated over 300 Christmas parcels for children in need
- Use of low-energy light bulbs and halogen bulbs IRO or ECO in entire hotel
- Use of motion detectors throughout the hotel
Godparent of Neuhland Children's Homes
The Radisson Blu Hotel, Berlin is also pleased to support the Neuhland Children's Homes since 2006; currently, the hotel acts as "Godparent" towards the homes. Neuhland e.V. is a body responsible for social projects and institutions that attend to the needs of children and young people in crisis situations. The hotel's support programmes for the children are multifaceted and range from donations in cash and to hands-on help by hotel employees. The hotel assists with projects including repainting the Neuhland House, organisation of the summer party, Christmas bakery at the hotels pastry and promoting an introduction to working life through internships and apprenticeship positions.