Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organisation supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
This hotel's RB activities and achievements include:
- Earned Green Key eco-label
- Installed energy-efficient light bulbs
- Participate in Earth Hour every March
- Plant trees yearly along with business partners
- Purchase local and organic products when possible
- Recycle aluminum cans, bottles, paper, wood and residual oil
- Reduced hotel’s energy consumption by 25% in five years through the group-wide project Think Planet
- Use only eco-labelled stationery, brochures and other paper products
Social and community outreach:
- Annually support the Terry Fox Run fundraising campaign
- Donate clothes to shelters or orphanages
- Donate sheets, towels and televisions to several foundations
- Partner with World Clean Up
- Regularly organise visits and lunches for kids with disabilities
- Support the Youth Career Initiative Foundation and focus on hiring young people from shelters or disadvantaged families
Health, safety and security:
- Monitor public areas with closed-circuit cameras
- Offer a majority of guest rooms as non smoking
- Provide staff with training in use of the hotel’s automated external defibrillator, firefighting, safety, security, food safety and RB practices
- Received certification in ISO 22000 (food safety) by TUV Austria
How can guests help?
- Contact the concierge or RB coordinator to participate in RB activities advertised on hotel screens.
- Remove keycard from the room switch when leaving, and keep windows closed when air-conditioning is on.
- Reuse towels and sheets.
- Support the World Childhood Foundation by contributing to the front-counter donation box and buying charity products from the hotel shop at Easter, Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
- Use waste recycling bins in the lobby near guest elevators.
The Radisson Blu Hotel, Bucharest is certified ISO 22000:2005.