Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility!
Hotel's focus is on Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children's rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organisation supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
This hotel actively participates in RB activities by promoting social and environmental initiatives. One project includes the revitalisation of 3ezbet Kheir Allah, a destitute region prone to crime. Although the district is still counted among the more desolate areas of Old Egypt, the Radisson Blu Hotel in Heliopolis started in 2010 to take responsibility by approaching many families in this area and working to fulfil some of their safety, nutritional and medical needs.
Among this hotel's RB environmental initiatives:
- A large portion of landscaped area is dedicated to support the environment.
- Drip irrigation is used to water the plants, which reduces water waste.
- Landscape lighting uses photocell controls.
- Lighting for the entire building, including guest corridors and public toilets, is controlled by motion sensors and timers.
- The hotel participates in the hotel version of the Go Green Earth Hour each year.
- The hotel utilises energy-saving bulbs or LEDs and dimmer systems to reduce energy consumption.
RB social and community outreach:
- The hotel collects donations for the World Childhood Foundation and invites special-needs schoolchildren to visit.
- The hotel participates in blood drives as well as breast cancer awareness campaigns.
RB health, safety and security initiatives:
- Annual health and safety training is conducted, and bi-annual first aid training by Egyptian Red Crescent is also offered.
- Bomb threat alert training is required for staff, as is fire safety training.
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for hotel chemical use is updated regularly.
- Medical check-ups are available for all staff.
- The hotel participates in the Hospitality Integrated Industrial Service programme.
- The hotel works toward its Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) certification.
RB staff involvement:
- All staff undergoes RB training.
- First aid training and fire safety training are mandatory.
- '' Yes I Can '' training is also required for all staff.
RB guest opportunities:
- Guests may donate blood during the blood drive.
- Guests may participate in the towel-replacement programme, helping to conserve water and reduce the use of detergents.