Responsible Business – Let’s take responsibility
Dubai lodging takes a green approach to business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children's rights, health and safety, as well as environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the international charity organisation recognised by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the Foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Below are some of the RB activities and achievements of this hotel:
Environmentally Friendly Initiatives/Activities
- A complete, comprehensive and active programme exists, together with a dedicated team, to monitor and manage waste.
- All guest rooms, public areas and staff areas at the hotel are fitted with water restrictors and/or sensor systems to avoid waste.
- All lighting areas are fitted with motion detectors, photo-cells and/or timers.
- Dedicated Green Garden is located in Staff Quarters to encourage more tree planting and to establish a greener environment.
- The hotel participates with the Dubai Municipality in its annual Marasina Clean-up Campaign.
- The hotel celebrates Earth Hour on an annual basis with guests and staff.
Social and Community Outreach
- Staff members donate blood each quarter in aid of Al Wasel and Rashid Hospitals' Children's Section.
- Staff members participate annually in the BurJuman Breast Cancer Awareness Programme.
- The hotel hosts an Annual Gingerbread House Event during the festive season with all revenue from the event donated to a local children's charity organisation.
- The hotel participates each year in the Dubai Terry Fox Run, to support and create awareness of cancer.
- The hotel staff arranges various internal activities to collect donations for the charity partner organisation of the Rezidor Hotel Group - World Childhood Foundation.
Health, Safety & Security Initiatives
- A comprehensive and fully sponsored medical check-up programme is available for all staff members in addition to the annual medical.
- Comprehensive Fire & Life Safety Measures are reinforced through the dedicated FLS Team.
- Food For Thought programme is available in all restaurants, enabling guests to have a wide choice of healthy food items.
- The hotel has earned the Comprehensive HACCP Certification.
- All of the 650+ staff members have undergone the dedicated Living Responsible Business Programme, which educates about the Company's Corporate Social Responsibility Programme, as well as how staff can contribute.
- Ongoing refresher training through the On Job Skills Training Programme target waste management and energy conservation.
- Continuous improvements encourage a greener living and working environment.
- Staff members actively take part in the hotel's ongoing recycling programme.
Awards and Achievements
- Appreciation Award was bestowed by the Dubai Municipality for co-sponsoring the Annual Marasina Clean-up Campaign.
- The hotel received the Appreciation Awards by the Department of Social Affairs for co-sponsoring a Special Iftar Event for Children from less privileged families.
How can guests take part in the hotel's RB Activities?
- The Towel Replacement Programme - Should guests wish to reuse a towel, simply place it on the rack.
- This will help to cut down on water consumption.
- Guests can take part in the hotel's quarterly blood donation programme should the stay coincide with the designated date of the event.
- Donations towards the local branch of the Red Crescent are gladly accepted.