City center near hotel in Freetown
Just 10 kilometers away, the city center beckons hotel guests in Freetown to explore the many sights and sounds in Sierra Leone. In addition to historic attractions, like Cotton Tree and the National Museum, travelers can shop at the bustling markets or head to the coast for a day of seaside excursions. West Africa’s oldest university, Fourah Bay College, is also nearby.
Given Sierra Leone’s impressive coastline, the list of beaches abounds. Options include Lakka, Hamilton, Sussex, No. 2 River, Tokeh, Bureh Town, Black Johnson, Kent, York and Mama.
Fish for crab and lobster and other seafood delights from the Atlantic with help from the local fishermen in popular fishing villages like Aberdeen, Lumley Beach and Goderich.
Integral to the country’s extensive coastline, boating allows travelers a different perspective of Siera Leone. The many small bays beckon explorers to discover their natural treasures. Employ a local with a dugout canoe for an authentic experience, or opt for an organized excursion by Aqua Sports Club, about four kilometers away.
Lake Sonon is located in the northern region of the Koinadugu District and offers ample opportunity for bird watching. A variety of species are visible and waiting to be photographed.
- Sport fishing - from beach front
- Casino and nightclub - 200 m
- 18-hole golf course - 2 km
- Sierra Leone Museum - 11.1 km
- The Cotton Tree - 11.2 km
- St. John's Maroon Church - 13.5 km
- St. George's Cathedral - 14.1 km
- Big Market - 14.2 km
- Tacaguma chimpanzee sanctuary (Regent Village) - 15.4 km
- National Railway Museum - 17.1 km
- Bunce Island (colonial-era slaving center) - 86 km
- Charlotte Falls
- Banana and Turtle Islands natural wetlands (excursions with tour guides available)