Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility!
Hamburg hotel strives to be a responsible business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the Rezidor Hotel Group corporate international charity organization, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the World Childhood Foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Responsible Business activities and achievements:
- Hotel staff members took part with various companies in the HSH Nordbank Run through Hamburg; this 4-kilometer running event raises money for "Kinder Helfen Kindern" (Children Helping Children).
- In cooperation with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, this hotel hosted a terminally ill 9-year-old girl named Vanessa and her parents during a recent visit to Hamburg, during which they saw a performance of the musical The Lion King.
- As part of the "Give Blood - Save Life" program, this hotel and the Workers' Samaritan Federation Germany (ASB) requests all employees, guests and residents give blood in support of a University Hospital's Children's Cancer Centre.
- This hotel has undertaken a number of efforts to support Paten Straßenkids E.V., the foundation that cares for homeless youths; these efforts included baking a pizza for the children and donating the entrance fees from a special event in which the hotel opened its 110-meter-high terrace so the public could take in panoramic views of the city.
- The hotel's Human Resources department also held a workshop to help homeless youths learn about applying for jobs.
- All hotel staff members attend a Responsible Business workshop to refresh and strengthen their awareness for responsible thinking and actions.
- As part of the Christmas in a Shoebox program, all staff members packed parcels for children living in poverty.
- The hotel is enforcing a no-smoking policy during the daily Super Breakfast Buffet, which makes the first meal of the day even healthier for guests.