Hotel practises Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organisation supported by the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
Responsible Business has always been a focus point for the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Media City team, which runs several activities throughout the year to support and raise interest in environmental and community issues.
- All guest hand-wash areas fitted with sensors to reduce water use
- All guest toilets fitted with dual flush systems
- Created the first eco-friendly roundabout in Dubai Media City
- In 100% compliance with EWS-WWF’s Choose Wisely campaign (protecting endangered local fish)
- Installed sensors in the hotel for lights to be switched off automatically when not in use
- Participates in Earth Hour annually
- Participates in the Emirates Environmental Group's Can Collection Campaign
- Patronises eco-labelled products and locally sourced water
- Recycling bins provided in all back-of-house areas
- Recycles paper
- Replaced more than 95% of the hotel lights with LEDs
- Uses aerators in all the faucets in the hotel
Social and community outreach:
- Collaborates with Youth India Organization (visiting hospitals, Dubai jails and construction camps and distributing basic necessities)
- Guest rooms with modified doors for handicapped guests and wheelchair-accessible restrooms
- Participates in the Box Appeal Campaign, an annual charitable event for the UAE’s less-privileged workers Organises annual blood donation and clothes donation campaign
- Sponsors charitable local organisations like Leap for Grief Centre and Job Opportunities Provider for Cancer Survivors
- Supports Dubai Autism Centre
Health, safety and security:
- Conducts monthly Responsible Business committee and staff welfare meetings
- Facilitates fire evacuation drills for all staff members as per Civil Defence directives
- Practises Healthy Food Day in staff cafeteria
- Provides lifeguard training for swimming pool attendants
- Provides ongoing on-the-job skills training for all staff members
- Provides staff with basic and intermediate food hygiene training as well as first aid and fire fighting training
Awards and achievements:
- Hotel's chief engineer won the Green Hotelier of the Year Award in 2012 for energy-saving initiatives at the Middle East Hotelier Awards
- Green Key certified since 2008
- Recognised for energy-saving LED lights on hotel exterior
- Received the award for 2012 Best Responsible Business Hotel from Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
- Enviro-Serve Certified
- World Wildlife Fund Certified
How can guests take part in this hotel's Responsible Business activities?
- Blood donation campaign: We organise a blood donation campaign once a year, and guests are encouraged to take part as well.
- Box Appeal Campaign: Upon checking in, we briefly introduce the annual Box Appeal Campaign to all our guests and give them details if they want to participate.
- Linen and towel replacement programmes: We continuously promote awareness of sustainable environment and tell guests how they can be of help by placing informative cards/door hanger cards on the bed and on the shower doorknob before they check in.
- To participate in the linen and towel replacement programme, the guest has to complete the door hanger card and place it on their door before 02:00.
- We give AED 25 credit at any of our participating F&B outlets or 500 Club Carlson points upon check-out for each day the guest declines housekeeping service.
- Carbon footprint offset is available for Club Carlson for Planners meetings.