Hotel practices Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
Green Key eco-label
Having received the Green Key eco-label, our hotel continues to play an active role in protecting the planet's environment.
The hotel and its staff have implemented and continue to practice an effective environmental policy that includes guidelines for staff training as well as for the conservation of water and energy and the disposal of wastes and chemical products. Applied through employee empowerment, the policy also seeks to build supplier and customer awareness about environmental preservation. In addition to closely monitoring energy consumption, the hotel has installed waste-sorting and water-saving equipment. Staff also use environmentally-friendly cleaning products. The hotel is committed to respecting nature and to contributing to environmental education.
When guests choose a hotel awarded the Green Key eco-label, they are guaranteed a stay in a respected and preserved environment where they, too, are encouraged to participate in the green practices.
RB activities and achievements of this hotel include:
- RB promoted at reception, in information folders in guest rooms, in fact sheets for sales activities and in hotel contracts
- Use of organic and ecological products, particularly in the breakfast room
- Introductory RB training for new staff and more extensive quarterly RB training
- Disseminating RB news on a dynamic information board and the internal information channel
- Collecting donations for the Strømme Foundation, a non-governmental organization dedicated to eradicating poverty and helping people create a better future
- Donating conference rooms for charity use, including space for a large cancer-cure fundraising event every October
- Inviting children from local schools to the hotel each September for activities like face painting, singing and storytelling in honor of From Children to Children day
- Sponsoring Hotel Norges Barneløp, a well-known Bergen charity run held the first Saturday of June with proceeds benefiting local children
- RB Activity Calendar to target environmental challenges and indicate activities executed
- Receipt of the Nordic Swan ecolabel by meeting strict requirements on energy and water conservation, chemical use and waste disposal