Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organisation supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
RB activities and achievements of this hotel include:
- RB promoted at reception, in information folders in guest rooms, in fact sheets for sales activities and in hotel contracts
- Use of organic and ecological products, particularly in the breakfast room
- Introductory RB training for new staff and more extensive quarterly RB training
- Disseminating RB news on a dynamic information board and the internal information channel
- Collecting donations for the Strømme Foundation, a non-governmental organisation dedicated to eradicating poverty and supporting people to create a better future
- Donating conference rooms for charity use, including a large event every October for cancer-cure fundraising
- Inviting children from surrounding schools each September for activities like face painting, singing and storytelling for From Children to Children day
- Sponsoring Hotel Norges Barneløp, a well-known Bergen charity run held the first Saturday of June whose proceeds help local children
- RB Activity Calendar to target environmental challenges and indicate activities executed
- Reciept of the Nordic Swan ecolabel by meeting strict requirements on energy and water conservation, chemical use and waste disposal