Top things to do in Ranchi
- Admire the view of the exquisite surrounding landscape at the summit of Ranchi Hill, where you’ll also find a temple to Lord Shiva. It’s a great place for trekking and rock climbing.
- Bathe in the pool at the base of the Hundru Falls, which fall almost 100m, making them the highest waterfalls in the state. They are formed on the course of the Subarnarekha River. It is popular among hikers.
- Visit the Jonha Falls, one of the many famous waterfalls around Ranchi. There is also a Buddhist temple here. Other impressive waterfalls include Dassam Gagh, which falls over 40m from the Kanchi River and the Panch Gagh Falls consist of five streams.
- Travel up to Tagore Hill, named after the famous Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore. It is believed he wrote some of his famous works on top of the hill. The stunning view attracts nature lovers from all over India.
- Spend some time discovering the history of local tribes at the Tribal Research Institute and Museum.
- Organise a trip to the Betla (Palamu) National Park, the home to the world’s first tiger census in 1932. It’s a great place to watch wild elephants, bison and – fingers crossed – tigers and leopards.
- Indulge yourself with a treatment at the Radisson Blu’s Spa O2.
- Picnic at the Ranchi Rock Gardens, whose sculptures were built from the rocks of Gonda Hill. The nearby Kanke Dam is also popular.
If you liked reading about Ranchi, you might also like:
Ranchi is the capital of the east Indian state of Jharkhand. Located on the Chota Nagpur Plateau at 651 metres above sea level, Ranchi is known for its magnificent waterfalls and lakes and gets it name from a tribal word for bamboo forest.
Its lush green hills and valleys make it a wonderful base for exploring the largely undiscovered east India.
Ranchi remained in the possession of various tribal groups and escaped the purview of ancient Indian empires for centuries. As such, tribal history and culture remain rich in the area today.
Ranchi lies in the heart of the steel and mining belt of India and is a growing industrial base as a result. Many of India’s biggest mining and industrial companies have bases in Ranchi.
Ranchi is a healthcare hub for the people of Jharkhand and the surrounding states. A boom in the retail sector has seen the development of several large shopping malls and multiplex cinemas as well as the launch of multinational food chains.
Its position makes Ranchi a good base for hill safaris or to visit the Betla National Park.
When to go:
The best time to visit Ranchi is from October to April. Owing to its elevation it can be cool in December and January and even hot summer days cool down in the evenings. It can be very humid in summer.