Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotel is engaged with local charity organisation Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija. RMHC is operates Care Mobil, the clinic on wheels for children under 18 only. Some of the best doctors in the country work with RMHC to provide planned medical care for children unable to visit medical specialists.
The hotel has received the Green Key and Green Light certificates. The Green Key is an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments. Organisations awarded the Green Key meet technical and management criteria and criteria on communication. On-site checks are performed regularly. Green Light is an on-going voluntary program whereby private and public organisations commit toward the European Commission to reducing their lighting energy use, thus reducing polluting emissions.
The hotel supported the Art for Japan auction, organised in cooperation with the International Red Cross. Latvian photographers and artists donated 54 art works to this cause, raising the most money ever in the history of Latvian charity auctions.
The Radisson Blu Hotels Latvija, Ridzene and Elizabete invited 65 children from Lauberes and Irlavas children's houses. The children enjoyed a spectacular Riga tour from the Skyline Bar, complete with a quiz and small awards. Afterward, the children went to the hotel's largest conference room and took part in a light lunch and cartoon with popcorn, followed by ice cream, games and creative workshops. The event was organised in cooperation with local DMC and transport companies, with the support of the hotel's suppliers.
Gently used furniture from the hotel's renovation was donated to Alsviķi children's house.
Responsible Business Month 2010 saw the donation of food packages, household goods, clothes, toys, shoes and baby clothes by hotel employees to disabled people and indigent people and families in regional establishment Inčukalna, the association for disabled and indigent people.
Some other RB activities and achievements:
- Building Management System to monitor the temperature in hotel rooms
- Collecting used batteries
- Constant upgrade of ventilation and cooling systems to save energy
- Donating old furniture from the reconstruction to the boarding school in Vaiņode
- Encouraging business partners to support Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija Care Mobil
- Exchanging towels only on guest request
- Main light switch operated with key card in hotel rooms to reduce the consumption of electricity
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Ongoing exchange to low-energy bulbs and LED lighting
- Pre-sorting waste to reduce the volume
- Preventive maintenance program to save electricity and water
- Providing ongoing RB training for all employees
- Providing volunteers to work at the Malta Cross Soup Kitchen once a month
- Regular donations of textiles and toys to the local Red Cross