Hotel practises Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Carlson Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotel is engaged with local charity organisation Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija. RMHC is operates Care Mobil, the clinic on wheels for children under 18 only. Some of the best doctors in the country work with RMHC to provide planned medical care for children unable to visit medical specialists.
The hotel has received the Green Key and Green Light certificates. The Green Key is an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments. Organisations awarded the Green Key meet technical and management criteria and criteria on communication. On-site checks are performed regularly. Green Light is an on-going voluntary program whereby private and public organisations commit toward the European Commission to reducing their lighting energy use, thus reducing polluting emissions.
The hotel supported the Art for Japan auction, organised in cooperation with the International Red Cross. Latvian photographers and artists donated 54 art works to this cause, raising the most money ever in the history of Latvian charity auctions.
Every year Radisson Blu Hotels in Riga organise a movie and entertainment day to help socially unprotected children escape their daily routine. The children can enjoy a spectacular Riga tour from the Skypoint on Radisson Blu hotel Latvija's 27th floor, complete with a quiz and small awards. Afterwards, they are invited to the hotel's largest conference room and can take part in a light lunch and cartoon with popcorn, followed by ice cream, games and creative workshops.
The last two years, all the hotels in Riga joined forces and participated in "Big Spring Cleanup" cleaning up the park around the children's hospital.
After renovations, we are donating gently used furniture to houses or orphanages. During Responsible Business Action Month we are planning activities like blood donation day for employees and different funds raising events in order to support people in need and promote a healthy way of living.
Some other RB activities and achievements:
- Building Management System to ensure energy efficient operation of technical systems
- Collecting used batteries
- Constant upgrade of ventilation and cooling systems to save energy
- Donating small guest room amenities to orphanages
- Encouraging business partners to support Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija Care Mobile
- Exchanging towels only on guest request, if it's dropped on the floor
- Main light switch operated with key card in hotel rooms to reduce the consumption of electricity
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Ongoing exchange to low-energy bulbs and LED lighting
- Pre-sorting waste to reduce the volume
- Preventive maintenance program to save electricity and water
- Preparing soup for people from social house every week
- Providing ongoing RB training for all employees
- Regular donations of textiles and toys to the local Red Cross