Hotel practices Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Carlson Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotel has received the Green Key and Green Light certificates. The Green Key is an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments. Organizations awarded the Green Key meet technical, communication and management criteria. On-site checks are performed regularly. Green Light is an on-going voluntary program whereby private and public organizations commit to the European Commission to reduce their lighting energy use, thus reducing polluting emissions.
The hotel supported the Art for Japan auction, organized in cooperation with the International Red Cross. Latvian photographers and artists donated 54 works of art to this cause, raising the most money ever in the history of Latvian charity auctions.
Every year, Radisson Blu Hotels in Riga organize a movie and entertainment day to help socially unprotected children escape their daily routine. The children can enjoy a spectacular Riga tour from the Skypoint on Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija's 27th floor, complete with a quiz and small awards. Afterwards, they are invited to the hotel's largest conference room and can enjoy a light lunch and cartoon with popcorn, followed by ice cream, games and creative workshops.
Over the last two years, all the hotels in Riga have joined forces and participated in "Big Spring Cleanup", cleaning up the park around the children's hospital.
After renovations, the hotel donated used furniture in good condition to houses and orphanages. During Responsible Business Action Month, we are planning activities like blood donation day for employees and different fundraising events to support people in need and to promote a healthy way of living.
- Building Management System to ensure energy efficient operation of technical systems
- Collecting used batteries
- Constant upgrade of ventilation and cooling systems to save energy
- Donating small guest room amenities to orphanages
- Exchanging towels only on guest request
- Main light switch operated with key card in hotel rooms to reduce the consumption of electricity
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Ongoing change to low-energy bulbs and LED lighting
- Pre-sorting waste to reduce the volume
- Preventive maintenance program to save electricity and water
- Preparing soup for people from social houses every week
- Providing ongoing RB training for all employees
- Regular donations of textiles and toys to the local Red Cross
- Responsible Business hotel team – all departments involved
- Since 2010, the hotel has reduced energy consumption by 24.7%