Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering such areas as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organisation supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
The hotel's RB policy includes the following:
- The hotel shall educate and facilitate employees on making a conscious decision in favour of environmental, ethical and social issues in their private and work lives.
- The hotel shall inform guests and provide them access to RB-related activities at the hotel.
- The hotel shall work together with property owners to find innovative solutions that satisfy mutual economic, environmental and social objectives.
- The hotel shall provide shareholders and investors with timely, accurate and transparent information on RB-related risks and opportunities.
- The hotel shall strive to purchase products that have a reduced environmental impact during their life cycle. These products shall be purchased from suppliers that demonstrate environmental and social responsibility.
- The hotel shall require its managers to abide by local and international legislation, especially regarding labour laws, health and safety, human rights and the environment.
- The hotel shall take an active role in the international RB community and contribute to local communities.
- The hotel shall do its best to improve its performance in the areas of energy, water, chemicals and resource consumption and waste generation in order to reduce the hotel's negative impact on the environment.
Here are some of the RB activities and achievements of this hotel:
- Earth Hour – The hotel dimmed the lights in the Lobby Bar and Skybar for an hour and switched off the lights in the Riverside Restaurant, where guests ate a candlelit dinner.
- Lithuanian Environmental Cleaning Action DAROM - Hotel personnel joined with children from the children's home Atsigręžk į vaikus to gather trash from Bekeso Hill, a UNESCO World Heritage site in Vilnius.
- The hotel supports local children’s home Atsigręžk į vaikus by hosting an annual Christmas party and visiting the home with Christmas gifts and cake.
- The hotel collects old and unused mobile phones and donates them to the organisation Greenfone, which recycles them.
- Hotel staff donated blood to Lithuanian hospitals through the Lithuanian Blood Centre.
The Radisson Blu Hotel Lietuva has maintained its Green Key status since 2004. The hotel began its environmentally conscious activities by washing laundry less often and installing water-saving devices, and soon expanded its efforts by using low-energy light bulbs, choosing equipment with a standby function and adding programmable thermostats. Staff began pre-sorting rubbish so that a large amount of it is recycled. In addition, the hotel has started using eco-friendly products like non-chlorine bleaches and phosphate-free detergents.
The hotel continues its environmental efforts by using local produce, providing ongoing training for staff about the environmental activities of the company, informing the public and guests about how they can participate in environmental activities and improving air quality throughout the hotel.