Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility!
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotel is engaged with both local charity groups, Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Latvija and Rezidor's corporate international charity organisation, the World Childhood Foundation. RHMC Latvija is operating Care Mobile, a clinic on wheels for children under 18. They are in close cooperation with some of the best doctors in country and different municipalities in order to provide planed medical care for kids who are unable to visit medical specialists. The mission of Childhood is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Hotel receives Green Key and Green Light certificates
The Green Key is an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments. Organisations are awarded the Green Key according to technical management criteria and criteria on communication. On-site checks are performed regularly on all Green Key owners.
Green Light is an ongoing voluntary program whereby private and public organisations commit toward the European Commission to reducing their lighting energy usages, thus reducing polluting emissions. Green Light was launched in February 2000.
Responsible Business activities and achievements of the hotel:
- Building Management System to ensure energy efficient operation of technical systems
- Collecting used batteries and fluorescent bulbs
- Constant upgrade of ventilation and cooling systems in order to save energy
- Donating food packages, household goods, clothes, toys, shoes, baby clothes by hotel employees to disabled people and indigent people and families in regional establishment Inčukalna association for disabled and indigent people
- Donating small guest room amenities (shampoos, conditioners, slippers, etc.) to orphanages Integration Centre Bērnu Oāze, Tiskādu Orphanage
- Encouraging business partners to support Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija and Care Mobil
- Exchanging towels only on guest request (if dropped on the floor)
- Main switch operated with key card in hotel rooms to reduce the consumption of electricity
- Malta Cross Soup Kitchen once a month
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Ongoing exchange to low energy bulbs and LED
- Pre-sorting waste and reducing the volume of it by involving employees and guests
- Preventive maintenance program in order to save electricity and water
- Providing ongoing Responsible Business training for all the employees
- Regular donations of textiles and toys to the local Red Cross
- Supporting charity organisation "Festivālu fonds"