Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility!
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Carlson Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotel is engaged with both local charity groups, Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Latvija and Carlson Rezidor's corporate international charity organisation, the World Childhood Foundation. RHMC Latvija is operating Care Mobile, a clinic on wheels for children under 18. They are in close cooperation with some of the best doctors in the country and different municipalities in order to provide planned medical care for kids who are unable to visit medical specialists. The mission of Childhood is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Hotel receives Green Key and Green Light certificates
The Green Key is an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments. Organisations are awarded the Green Key according to technical management criteria and criteria on communication. On-site checks are performed regularly on all Green Key owners.
Green Light is an ongoing voluntary program whereby private and public organisations commit toward the European Commission to reducing their lighting energy usages, thus reducing polluting emissions. Green Light was launched in February 2000.
Responsible Business activities and achievements of the hotel:
- Building Management System to ensure energy-efficient operation of technical systems
- Collecting used batteries and fluorescent bulbs
- Constant upgrade of ventilation and cooling systems in order to save energy
- Donating food packages, household goods, clothes, toys, shoes and baby clothes from hotel employees to disabled people, indigent people and families in the regional establishment Inčukalna, an association for disabled and indigent people
- Donating small bathroom amenities (shampoos, conditioners, slippers, etc.) to orphanages Integration Centre Bērnu Oāze (association "Orphans Car Centre, Together With Us") and Tiskādu Orphanage, Baltinavas Christian Special boarding school
- Donating pillows and protective sheets to Stat Social Care Centre „Rīga”
- Donating blankets, linen and terry to old people`s home in Ērgļi regional community
- Encouraging business partners to support Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija and Care Mobile
- Exchanging towels only on guest request (if dropped on the floor)
- Main switch operated with key card in hotel rooms to reduce the consumption of electricity
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Monthly participation with Malta Cross Soup Kitchen
- Ongoing exchange to low-energy bulbs and LED
- Pre-sorting waste and reducing the volume of it by involving employees and guests
- Preventive maintenance programme in order to save electricity and water
- Providing ongoing Responsible Business training for all the employees
- Regular donations of textiles and toys to the local Red Cross
- Supporting charity organisation "Festivālu fonds"
- Sep 2012 all Radisson Blu and Park Inn by Radisson hotels in Baltics, in co-operation with Baltic Miles loyalty programme, donated almost 5000 house-hold things for people in need
- Aug 2013 the Radisson Blu cycling team organised a charity cycling ride, The Baltic Way, and raised T EUR 10. This money was handed over to Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija and will be used to provide health care for more than 300 children in Latvija. The team cycled 750 km in five days from Vilnius to Tallinn through all three Baltic States
- Sep 2013 in co-operation with Radisson Blu Hotel Latvia and Radisson Blu Elizabete hotels organised an afternoon for children from the orphanage, Ziemeļi. They took a tour and watched Epic together with a light lunch in one of the conference rooms
- Using green housekeeping programme to give guests the opportunity to participate in responsible business activities and earn 500 Gold Points to guest's Club Carlson account