Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
GREEN HOTEL IN CAVAN PRACTISES RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB).
Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements. The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organisation supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
Responsible Business activities and achievementsEnvironment
- The hotel produces its own energy during times of peak electricity use with a CHP unit.
- A clothes recycling facility is on site.
- Leftover food is composted, and waste cardboard is used in the composter instead of pellets to further maximise recycling.
- Laser cartridges, ink jet cartridges and mobile phones are collected in recycling bins.
- Paper and envelopes are reused internally.
- The conference centre has waste-sorting facilities.
- The hotel has in place water consumption meters to identify departmental water usage, a leak-reporting procedure and spray taps on hand-washing basins.
- The hotel’s cleaning products are environmentally friendly.
- Lights are turned off in areas not being used, such as in meeting rooms and storage rooms.
- Long-life, energy-saving bulbs are used throughout the hotel.
- The hotel annually donates to selected local charities.
- All hotel employees are educated about the RB programme by way of induction, posters and notices.
- All hotel employees are given training on health and safety procedures.
- An RB representative is nominated from each department.
- Guests are encouraged to reuse towels through in-room cards that explain the hotel’s RB commitment.