HOTEL PRACTICES RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements.
The Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam is engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, Just a Drop. Every minute, a child dies from a water related disease. As part of our Blu Planet initiative, we have partnered with this respected international water aid charity. Together we help provide clean, safe water to alleviate this tragic situation for children around the world.
Following are some Responsible Business activities and achievements of the Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam:
Green Key certificationThe Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam proudly possesses Green Key Gold status. Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to leisure organizations and facilities that meet an extensive array of environmental requirements. Besides environmental demands, the criteria include demands on policy, action plans, education and communication. Organizations must demonstrate responsibility for surroundings and society. Organizations are graded bronze, silver or gold depending on their level of compliance.
Waste generation control
- Reduce: Hotel suppliers are asked to decrease packaging; portion packs are avoided when possible.
- Reuse: We print on both sides of paper and donate used furniture, bedding and equipment to charity.
- Recycle: The hotel collects paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, metal cans, oil, printer cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, CD-ROMs, magnetic cards, batteries, metal hangers as well as Nespresso® cups/pads for recycling.
- A keycard-operated main switch controls lights in guest rooms.
- Elevators have counterweights to reduce energy consumption.
- Energy-efficient light bulbs are used throughout the hotel.
- We have a security manager, managers on duty and regular security trainings.
- Staff train in first aid, including training on the HeartStart defibrillator.
- The hotel employs the TRIC formula: Threat assessment, Risk evaluation, Incident response, Crisis management and communication.
- Responsible Business forms part of the staff training offering in order to build and maintain employee awareness.
- All job descriptions include Responsible Business activities.
- More than 80% of employees use public transportation to help reduce urban air pollution.
- We track and report the number of copies and prints monthly.
- Over the past few years, several staff members have participated in the Amsterdam City Swim to support the ALS Foundation.
- In October, activities are put in place in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- For everyone's health, and by Dutch law, the hotel has been fully non-smoking since July 2008.
How guests can help
- Place used batteries in one of the hotel's battery boxes.
- Return corks to the hotel restaurant for recycling.
- Reuse towels.
- Save energy by switching off appliances when they are not in use.
- Use public transport or rent a bike.