Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
HOTEL PRACTICES RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, Just a Drop. Every minute, a child dies from a water related disease. As part of our Blu Planet initiative, we have partnered with this respected international water aid charity. Together we help provide clean, safe water to alleviate this tragic situation for children around the world.
Following are some of this hotel's RB activities and achievements:
The hotel follows 3 simple rules to help limit waste generation:
- The hotel's suppliers are asked to decrease the amount of packaging used in deliveries.
- Guests are asked to re-use towels (cards in the bathroom explain this policy).
- For long-staying guests, bed linens are changed every other day rather than daily.
- Double-sided printing is practiced as much as possible.
- Donations of hotel furniture, bedding and equipment are made to charities, such as an orphanage in Surinam.
- Frying oil is collected for re-use by a certified company, Filtafry.
- Paper, cardboard, glass, plastic bottles, printer cartridges, magnetic cards and batteries are recycled.
This hotel uses several different methods to conserve energy, such as energy-efficient light bulbs and an energy-saving night mode with lights in public areas. Single switches are used for all lighting in guest rooms. Lighting outside the hotel is turned on and off automatically with sensors.
Safety and security within the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group rely on the simple formula TRIC: Threat Assessment, Risk Evaluation, Incident Response, Crisis Management & Communication. The staff has been trained to perform first aid in case of a medical emergency, to use the Heart Start defibrillator, and to be part of a fire and evacuation team.
This hotel's Responsible Business program is not just about the environment. The hotel also takes into account social and economic issues concerning the local community.
What does the hotel do?
- Over the past few years, several staff members have participated in marathons for charities, such as Children's Cancer Foundation (KIKA) and the World Childhood Foundation.
- KIKA bears are sold at the hotel reception area with proceeds benefitting the foundation.
- The hotel is a participating member of "Stitchting doe een wens" (Make a Wish Foundation).
- The hotel sponsors the Gère Paulusen Leefkringhuis in Amsterdam, a house for abused or neglected children, helping with renovations, fundraising, donations, and activities such as
- Sinterklaas parties and interactive overnight stays at the hotel.
- For everyone's health, and by Dutch law, the hotel has been fully nonsmoking since July 2008.
- All menus offer vegetarian and healthy dishes.
- Fair-trade coffee is served in the meeting rooms and Grab & Run breakfast area.
- "Well water" is served during breakfast and via room service and is provided as an amenity. The sales help Simavi build wells in Africa.
- Use public transport while sightseeing in Amsterdam.
- Put used batteries in one of the battery boxes in the reception area.
- Rent bikes to explore the rural surroundings or to go plane spotting.
- Save energy by switching off appliances when not in use and by not overfilling kettles.
- When leaving the room, turn off the air-conditioning, heat, television, lights and other electrical devices.
- Let the hotel know that it is not necessary to change the bed linens and towels every day; the staff will not replace towels that are returned to the towel rack after use.
- Draw curtains to keep heat in the room on cold nights and to keep the heat out on hot days.
- Guests may ask the hotel to recycle their newspapers, or, even better, guests may pass them along to someone else or leave them in the lobby for other readers.