SEAN’S BAR - THE OLDEST BAR IN IRELAND
HAVE A GUINNESS AT A GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORD BAR
For a true Irish experience – and a tasty one at that – visit Sean’s Bar a short 5-minute walk from the Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, Northgate. Enjoy traditional Irish music over a well-poured Guinness or Irish whiskey at the oldest bar in Ireland.
The history of Sean’s Bar
Dating back to 900AD, Sean’s Bar is officially the oldest bar in Ireland and said to be one of the oldest bars in the world. Coins dating back to the 10th century were found in the walls and are now on display at the National Museum.
Why visit the oldest bar in Ireland?
Enjoy a warm atmosphere all year round thanks to exceptional service and the old-style open turf fireplace, or relax in the beer garden overlooking the Ford of Luain. Famed for its friendly atmosphere, Sean’s Bar is a must-see destination in Athlone.
- Learn the six-step ritual to pour the perfect pint of Guinness said to take 119.5 seconds to accomplish. Receive a certificate at the end.
- Enjoy live, traditional Irish music
Plan your visit from Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone, Northgate
- Opening hours:
- 10:30 – 23:30 (Monday – Thursday)
- 10:30 – 00:30 (Friday – Saturday)
- 12:30 – 23:00 (Sunday)
- Take a right down Northgate Street and turn right at the end of the road to cross the bridge over River Shannon. Turn left on Castle Street and follow around the back to Main Street, and you’ll see the front of the bar opposite you.