EDINBURGH CASTLE AND THE ROYAL EDINBURGH MILITARY TATTOO
VISIT AN UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE
Located on top of the famous Royal Mile in Edinburgh’s historic Old Town, Edinburgh Castle rests on the volcanic Castle Rock, dominating the skyline. This ancient stronghold dates back to the 9th century BC and has a proud military history. Visit one of Scotland’s most popular attractions just a 10-minute walk from the Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh City Centre.
What to see at Edinburgh Castle
When you explore Edinburgh Castle, be sure to experience the one o’clock gun, fired from one of the castle’s cannons at 13:00 every day, except for on Sundays. Explore the grounds and sights on your own, or enjoy professional guided tours included in the ticket price. Audio tours can also be booked in advance to learn about the many highlights.
- The Great Hall
- The Stone of Destiny
- The Crown Jewels
- Military Museum
Take a break at the Redcoat Café or one of the Tea Rooms and remember to visit the Gift Shop. Visitors should set aside at least two hours to explore the Edinburgh Castle.
Plan your visit from Radisson Blu Hotel, Edinburgh City Centre
- Winter (1 October – 31 March): 09:30 – 17:00 (Last entry 16:00)
- Summer (1 April – 30 September): 09:30 – 18:00 (Last entry 17:00)
- 1 January: 11:00 – 17:00
- Closed 25 and 26 December.
- Adults (16 – 59): £17
- Children (5 – 15): £10.20
- Children under 5: FREE
- Concession (60+ & unemployed): £13.60
- Adults: £3.50
- Children: £1.50
- Concession: £2.50
What to experience at the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo
This world-renowned annual event of pomp and circumstance unfolds every August against the spectacular backdrop of Edinburgh Castle. Watched by over 100 million people tuning in worldwide, the Scottish Regiments and their global counterparts present an unforgettable parade.
Held every year since 1950, The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is a celebration of music and entertainment and it’s an Edinburgh summer must! The performances last approximately 100 minutes.
Plan your visit
- The 2018 performance period will be 3- 25 August
- Monday to Friday performances start at 21:00
- Saturdays offer two performances, the first at 19:30 and the second at 22:30 (includes extended Fireworks Display)
- Tickets range from £25 to £340 (plus booking charges)
- Book your ticket early to avoid disappointment, the event has sold out for 18 consecutive years.