Red Squirrel Champions
The Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel is the first business in Jersey to champion the red squirrel under the Eco-Active Biodiversity Championship Scheme run in conjunction with the States of Jersey to preserve significant, rare and declining species.
Unlike mainland Britain, Jersey has a population of solely red squirrels. In the UK, red squirrels are increasingly under threat from competition from grey squirrels and other pressures on their natural habitat.
The hotel recognises how vital it is to conserve this natural safe haven for red squirrels, and we work closely with the Eco-Active scheme. Initiatives with local school children and the community to conserve red squirrels include:
- Creating a resource for the Jersey Hedgerow Campaign about the island's woodlands wildlife populations, species protection and ways to become involved
- Helping create a tree nursery at St. Lawrence School with tree seeds sourced locally by pupils and hotel staff
- Helping pupils create a rope bridge to give squirrels safe passage across a busy main road
- Hosting public talks at the hotel with local red squirrel experts
- Our executive chef working with St. Lawrence pupils to raise awareness of healthy eating by creating tasty squirrel food and advising on the best way to feed them
- Tree planting and woodland maintenance to create corridors for red squirrels and other local wildlife