Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility!
Taking responsibility for the environment and the local community plays an important role for the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group. All hotels take part in a dedicated Responsible Business (RB) programme. Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
Our hotel’s RB activities
C.I. Travel Group – Double Gold Award
C.I. Travel Group, in partnership with online review portal Feefo (www.feefo.com), has awarded the Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey with 2 Gold Awards for the best hotel in the 4- and 5-star category and best overall hotel winner in Jersey.
This award is based on genuine customers, who have experienced the excellent customer service, and therefore creates confident and honest feedback.
Tripadvisor® GreenLeaders Silver Award
This new GreenLeaders Silver Award recognises hotels that engage actively in environmentally friendly practices, including concepts such as a responsible water policy, controlled waste recycling and a sensitive heating and lighting policy. Other aspects include a preventative maintenance plan as well as green education and information for both staff and guests.
Along with 71 other Rezidor hotels worldwide, which also have been recognised by this programme, the Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel is particularly proud of its achievement as the only Jersey hotel so far to receive this award.
Jersey Skills Development Gold Award
For the 1st year of this new local award scheme, the Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey was honoured with a Gold Award for their outstanding commitment to developing local talent.
As 1 of 28 local employers, this award recognised the ongoing contribution the hotel is making to develop the skills of local young people. As an employer, the hotel makes particular efforts to create employment opportunities and offers several avenues of training for young people, including work experience, Project Trident student placements, the Advance to Work Scheme and apprenticeships.
Eco Active Business Level 3
This hotel is an Eco Active Level 3 member, the equivalent of Europe's ISO 14001 certification. The hotel is committed to an action programme that minimizes its impact on the environment. Eco Active is a locally tailored environmental accreditation program designed for Jersey-based organizations. Members meet many of the environmental business standards required in the United Kingdom and Europe.
Green Tourism Gold Award
The hotel has been a proud recipient of the Green Tourism Gold Award since 2011. This award is given based on a rigorous set of sustainable environmental criteria, covering a range of areas including energy conservation, water efficiency, waste management and biodiversity.
Joining a range of other green tourism businesses on the island, such a Creepy Valley Ltd., Jersey Kayak Adventures Ltd. and Visit Jersey, the Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel is proud hold such a prestigious accolade for sustainable businesses.
Waste generation control
- Reduce - request minimal packaging in supplier deliveries
- Reuse - encourage double-sided printing whenever possible
- Recycle - paper, cardboard, oil, printer cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, batteries
- Energy-efficient light bulbs
- Elevators with counterweights to reduce energy consumption
- General switch off/on for room lighting
- All toilets are dual flush.
- Changing rooms use push-button showers to conserve water.
- Public toilets use tap sensors to prevent excess water usage.
- Showers are set at 9 liters per minute to save water.
- Swimming pool is covered at night to minimize water evaporation.
- Crisis Management & Communication
- Formula TRIC: Threat Assessment, Risk Evaluation, Incident Response
- Security manager, managers on duty and regular security trainings
- Staff trained in first aid and Heart Start defibrillator
- Actively support Genuine Jersey traders
- Purchase from Jersey suppliers where competitive
- Use local produce when possible
- Beach cleanings with local schools
- Jersey Hospice Care Dragon Boat Race
- Help a Jersey Child
- Project Trident Scheme
- Shelter Trust
- Soup kitchen event in Jersey for Shelter Trust
- Variety Club of Jersey
The hotel choose Mind Jersey as the charity of the year. This local charity supports people with mental health issues as well as their relatives. The partnership will last for a minimum of 1 year, and the hotel will provide the organization with both practical and financial assistance.
How guests can help
- Offset their stay by becoming Club Carlson members and helping environmental projects in cooperation with a carbon-free company
- Reuse towels
- Save energy by switching off any appliances when not in use
- Use public transportation
Conserving the environment has become more important as more species of plants and animals become endangered or extinct. Half of the world's population lives on less than 2 USD per day and, by 2025, it is expected that food production will have to double to be able to feed the growing population. Companies like Rezidor have the resources to make a change.
Eco-Active Membership Certificate