Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Hotel Practices Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the local community and the environment has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for years. In 2001, this commitment was placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB action plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements. That commitment continues with the Responsible Business plan at this green hotel.
Activities and achievements
- Cards placed in bathrooms notifying guests that towels will only be changed when placed on the floor
- Collecting empty batteries, cartridges, fluorescent lights and oil for recycling
- Educating employees on environmental and social issues
- Enlisting a proactive Responsible Business team with a member from every department to involve all staff in RB activities
- Harvesting food for animals of the Curonian Spite
- Monitoring gas, electricity, water and waste consumption
- Planting trees around the Radisson Blu hotel, Kaliningrad
- Recycling program
- Seashore clean-up in the town of Zelenagradsk
- Social work with Kaliningrad orphanage and Kaliningrad veterans home
- Use of energy-saving lamps and energy-saving devices in each room to save electricity
- Using only environmentally-friendly cleaners for housekeeping needs
- Using flow-restrictor taps in order to conserve water
- Yearly participation in the “Earth Hour” global action that aims to highlight ecological problems
- Yearly kids show with charity lottery to gather money for treatment and rehabilitation of children
Responsible Business is not just about the environment. The hotel also cares about people and the community.
The Radisson Hotel, Kaliningrad is a Green Key-certified hotel. The Green Key is a global eco-label for the leisure industry. To earn Green Key certification, hotels have to fulfill a list of environmental requirements aimed at reducing negative environmental impact by saving water and electricity and decreasing the amount of waste produced. This hotel also participates in social programs to create a noticeably better environment for guests and staff.
The Radisson Hotel, Kaliningrad cooperates with Kaliningrad Zoo, the oldest in Russia, and takes care of the American black bear named Argon.
“Sup dlya Lyudey” charity foundation
Another Responsible Business activity of the Radisson Blu Kaliningrad hotel is offering help to the local foundation “Sup dlya Lyudey” (“Soup for People”), which takes care of homeless people. The hotel cooks weekly dinners for people living on the street.
“Tvori Dobro” charity foundation
As part of the RB program, the hotel assists the Kaliningrad foundation “Tvori Dobro” (“Do Good”), which engages in assistance for children with congenital and acquired diseases. The Radisson Blu Hotel, Kaliningrad holds special events for kids with disabilities, such as the “Smoorftastic party” and “Open Door Day.” There is a collection box for Tvori Dobro at the reception desk for guests to make charitable donations.