THIS HOTEL PRACTICES RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group’s broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, Just a Drop. Every minute, a child dies from a water related disease. As part of our Blu Planet initiative, we have partnered with this respected international water aid charity to help provide clean, safe water and help alleviate this tragic situation for children around the world.
Some of the RB activities and achievements of this hotel
- Reduce: We ask suppliers to decrease the amount of packing in their deliveries. Cards in each bathroom invite guests to reuse their towels. Bed linens are changed every other day for guests staying more than 1 night.
- Reuse: Papers are printed on both sides as often as possible. Frying oil is collected by a certified company, Filtafry, to be cleaned and reused. The hotel donates furniture, bedding and equipment to charity, including an orphanage in Suriname.
- Recycle: We enforce waste separation in all departments. We collect corks for use as craft supplies in schools and kindergartens. We recycle paper, cardboard, glass, plastic bottles, printer cartridges, magnetic cards and batteries.
- We use energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Lights in public areas have an energy-saving night mode, and guest rooms have a single off/on switch for all lighting that is activated by key cards.
- We follow the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group formula TRIC: Threat Assessment, Risk Evaluation, Incident Response, and Crises Management & Communication.
- All staff members are trained to perform first aid in case of a medical emergency and to use the Heart Start defibrillator.
- All staff members have been trained to be part of a fire and evacuation team.
- The hotel has spent several days participating in programs that provide meals for children with cancer and their families and has donated funds to the Association for Children with Cancer in Karlsruhe.
- All 199 hotel rooms are nonsmoking, and all hotel restaurants offer vegetarian dishes.
- Put used batteries in one of the battery boxes at hotel reception.
- Rent bikes to explore the rural surroundings.
- Save energy by switching off appliances when not in use.
- Avoid overfilling kettles.
- Let the hotel know that sheets and towels do not need changing every day (
- staff will not replace towels if they are returned to the towel rail).
- On cold nights, draw curtains to keep heat in the room and on hot days, draw them to keep the heat out of the room.
- Participate in the hotel's recycling program.