Golden Gate is the landmark of Kyiv, part of the ancient defensive system of Kievan Rus, the main gate of ancient Kyiv. It was built in 1017-1037 under the reign of the Grand Prince of Rus - Yaroslav the Wise.
The gates were part of a single defensive complex along with the ramparts (part of today's Yaroslaviv Val Street) around Upper Kyiv, as well as other entrances to the city - Sofiisky, Lyadsky and Lvivsky gates.
The Golden Gate was a tower with a passage that was crowned by the gate church of the Annunciation. It carried not only a defensive function, but also was the front entrance to Kyiv. Foreign ambassadors and distinguished guests were met here.
Why is it called "golden"?
According to one version, it was given this name because of the golden domes of the Church of the Annunciation, located on the top. According to the second - "golden" gates mean solemn gates - like the gates of Constantinople.
In 1240, the Golden Gate was badly damaged during the invasion of the hordes of Khan Baty to Kyiv and was never completely restored.
Over time, the historical building was destroyed. To preserve the city's landmark, in 1970 it was decided to recreate the original look of the gate. To do this, the ruins were covered with a special pavilion, which is similar to an ancient structure.
The opening of the new Golden Gate was held in May 1982, the year of the 1500th Kyiv anniversary celebration.
Now in this pavilion there is a museum, where, in particular, you can see fragments of the authentic walls of the gate.
We recommend to begin acquaintance with historical Kyiv with visiting Golden Gate which is in a 5 minutes walking from Radisson Blu Hotel, Kyiv.