Responsible Business - Let’s take responsibility!
RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS - LET’S TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering such areas as community outreach, environmental improvement, cultural heritage, employee well-being, children's rights and health and safety. That tradition continues with the RB program at this green hotel in Switzerland.
Some of the RB activities and achievements of the Radisson Blu Hotel, Lucerne:
- The hotel took part in the fundraising effort for the Theodora Foundation, which, among other activities, provides hospital clowns to cheer up children during their stays at the clinic.
- The hotel sponsored a blood donation drive at the hotel.
- The hotel sponsors all employees who wish to participate in the annual Lucerne city run.
- The hotel participates in the annual Pro Velo bike-to-work months. As a team-building exercise, each group of four has the opportunity to win prizes.
- The hotel provides ongoing staff training in first aid, fire evacuation and usage of a heart defibrillator.
- The hotel has been awarded the Green Key and the ISO 14001 certification, both international eco-labels.
- The hotel participates in the annual Earth Hour, in which all lights are switched off for one hour to support the World Wildlife Foundation (WWF) in its fight against climate change.
- When windows are opened, air conditioning automatically switches off to save energy.
- The main switch in each guest room for lights and air conditioning must be activated through guest's key card.
- Guest towels are laundered only when they have not been returned to the towel rail.
- Bathrooms use water-saving showerheads.
- Office lights use only 70% power to conserve energy.
- All lights in private offices, parking areas and guest floor corridors are activated by motion detectors.
- The hotel actively recycles paper, glass, aluminium, batteries, light bulbs, cardboard and plastic bottles.
- The hotel uses double-sided printing for all internal reports.
- The hotel provides ongoing staff training in the RB program.
- Towels will not be laundered when returned to the towel rail.
- Guests can bring used batteries to reception for recycling.
- Hotel guests can take advantage of public transport when sightseeing in Lucerne.
- When leaving the room, guests should be sure to carry out the room card, automatically switching off all lights.
- Guests can turn off the tap water while brushing teeth.
- Guests can turn off or unplug electrical devices rather than leave them in stand-by mode.
- On cold nights, guests can draw curtains to keep the heat in the room. Similarly, on hot days, guests can close the curtains to keep the heat out of the room.
- Guests can offset the carbon emission associated with a hotel stay by participating in the loyalty program Club Carlson. Gold Points, which are earned with every stay, can be donated to projects that will compensate for the carbon footprint of a hotel stay. For further information, please visit the front desk.
- ISO 14001
- Green Key
- Safehotels Certification
For more information please click here.
Continuous Improvement Process:
- Planning: definition of the objectives and processes to achieve the implementation of the environmental policy of the organization
- Running: the implementation of processes
- Controlling: monitoring of processes with regard to legal and other requirements, as well as the success of the organization in environmental protection measures
- Optimizing: if necessary the processes have to be corrected