Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Carlson Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a programme called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well being and health and safety.
The hotel is engaged with both local charity groups and Rezidor's corporate international charity organisation, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Activities and achievements
- Great emphasis is placed on recycling and energy conservation within all departments in the hotel. A designated team member ensures water and electricity conservation by installing timers for lights in non-essential areas and motion-sensitive lighting, low-energy bulbs and water cards in guest bedrooms, along with ongoing testing of dishwashers to ensure efficiency.
- Staff members raise money for local charities Great North Run and Manchester Bupa 10k Run.
- Teams from the hotel help local organisations clean bike paths, plant trees and shrubs and remove rubbish from the woodlands.
- The hotel hosted a company blood drive with the help of the NHS Blood and Transplant.
- The hotel joined the Carbon Challenge at Manchester Airport, a unique initiative challenging businesses to reduce their carbon footprints.
- The hotel’s staff periodically collects books, clothes, children's clothes and toys for various local charities.
- This hotel received the Silver Level of the Green Tourism Business Scheme, recognising the hotel’s commitment to environmental compliance and commitment toward Green Tourism.
- Upon induction, every employee at this hotel receives the Living Responsible Business training course. All managers also participate in the Leading Responsible Business training course.
- Visit the Green Business site for more information