Hotel practices Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
Responsible Business has always been a focus point for the Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Media City team, which runs several activities throughout the year to support and raise interest in environmental and community issues.
- Achieved 100% compliance with EWS-WWF’s Choose Wisely campaign (protecting endangered local fish)
- Created the first eco-friendly roundabout in Dubai Media City
- Fitted all guest hand-wash areas with sensors to reduce water use
- Fitted all guest toilets with dual flush systems
- Installed sensors in the hotel to switch lights off automatically when not in use
- Participates annually in Earth Hour
- Participates in the Emirates Environmental Group's Can Collection Drive
- Provides recycling bins in all back-of-house areas
- Purchases eco-labeled products and locally sourced water
- Recycles paper
- Replaced more than 95% of the hotel lights with LEDs
- Uses aerators in all hotel faucets
- Collaborates with Youth India to visit hospitals, jails and construction camps and distribute basic necessities
- Provides rooms with wheelchair-accessible restrooms and modified doors for handicapped guests
- Participates in the Box Appeal Campaign, an annual charity event for the UAE’s less-privileged workers
- Organizes annual blood donation and clothes donation campaigns
- Sponsors local charitable organizations like Leap for Grief Center and Job Opportunities Provider for Cancer Survivors
- Supports Dubai Autism Center
- Conducts monthly RB committee and staff welfare meetings
- Facilitates fire evacuation drills for all staff members as per civil-defense directives
- Practices Healthy Food Day in staff cafeteria
- Provides lifeguard training for swimming pool attendants
- Provides ongoing on-the-job training for all staff members
- Provides staff with training on food hygiene, first aid and fire safety
- Hotel's chief engineer awarded the Green Hotelier of the Year Award in 2012 for energy-saving initiatives at the Middle East Hotelier Awards
- Green Key certified since 2008
- Recognized for energy-saving LED lights on hotel exterior
- Received the award for 2012 Best Responsible Business Hotel from Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
- Enviro-Serve Certified
- World Wildlife Fund Certified
- Blood donation campaign: We organize a blood donation campaign once a year, and guests are encouraged to take part as well.
- Box Appeal Campaign: Upon checking in, we briefly introduce the annual Box Appeal Campaign to our guests and give them details if they want to participate.
- Linen and towel replacement programs: We continually promote awareness of environmental sustainability, placing informative door hanger cards on the bed and on the shower doorknob prior to check-in to tell guests how they can help. To participate in the linen and towel replacement program, the guest needs to complete the door hanger card and place it on their door before 02:00.
- We give AED 25 credit at any of our participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Club Carlson points upon check-out for each day the guest declines housekeeping service.
- Members of Club Carlson for Planners can participate in a program to offset their meetings’ carbon footprint.