Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan that covers areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
RB achievements of this hotel include
- Annual participation in Earth Hour, a worldwide event in which buildings switch off the lights to support the World Wildlife Foundation (WWF) and to deter climate change
- Automatic switch-off for air conditioning when windows are open
- Continual staff training in first aid, fire evacuation and use of heart defibrillator
- Double-sided printing of internal documents
- Guest-room lighting and air conditioning control by a key card-activated switch
- Herb garden maintained and used by kitchen staff
- International eco-label certification from Green Key and the ISO 14001
- Motion sensors on all lights in back offices, parking area and guest-floor corridors
- Ongoing staff training by an RB trainer
- Recycling of paper, glass, aluminum, batteries, bulbs, cardboard and plastic bottles
- Regular donations of clothing and toys
- Shower heads designed to conserve water
- Towel replacement only when guests do not return towels to the rack
Blood donation is very important in Switzerland because the hospitals do not have enough. The hotel has organized a blood donation event to aid in this area.
World Cleanup Day
A team from the hotel participated in the first Swiss World Cleanup Day on 21 Sep 2013. Together with people from the other Carlson Rezidor hotels in Switzerland, the group went to Lucerne to gather litter and to educate the population on this important subject. The day was a success, and the team was able to collect a lot of garbage. Next year, 2 World Cleanup Days will take place for an even greater emphasis on litter awareness.
How guests can participate
- On cold nights, draw curtains to retain room heat; on hot days, draw curtains to keep heat out.
- Re-use sheets and towels, alerting the hotel by replacing towels on the rack.
- Take the room card along when leaving to automatically switch off all lights.
- Turn off tap water while brushing teeth.
- When not in use, switch off all electrical devices completely (stand-by mode still uses energy).