Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Hotel practices Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
The Radisson Blu Royal Astorija Hotel, Vilnius drafted the following RB policy:
- The hotel shall educate and facilitate employees in making a conscious decision in favour of environmental, ethical and social issues in their private and work lives.
- The hotel shall inform guests and provide them access to RB-related activities at the hotel.
- The hotel shall work together with property owners to find innovative solutions that satisfy mutual economic, environmental and social objectives.
- The hotel shall provide shareholders and investors with timely, accurate and transparent information on RB-related risks and opportunities.
- The hotel shall strive to purchase products that have a reduced environmental impact during their life cycle. These products shall be purchased from suppliers that demonstrate environmental and social responsibility.
- The hotel shall require its managers to abide by local and international legislation, especially regarding labour laws, health and safety, human rights and the environment.
- The hotel shall take an active role in the international RB community and contribute to local communities.
- The hotel shall do its best to improve its performance in the areas of energy, water, chemicals and resource consumption and waste generation in order to reduce the hotel's negative impact on the environment.
- The staff donated blood through the Lithuanian Blood Center for Environmental Action Month.
- All the lights in the hotel were turned off during Earth Hour, an annual global event that encourages people to care for the planet.
- The hotel participated in the “See Your Dream” project, which assists blind people in starting their desired profession.
- The hotel provided conference space to the Adamkiene Fund for underprivileged Lithuanian children and collected for UNICEF.
- To support the International Rotary Club’s summer camp for foster children, the hotel provided food, cake, equipment and cooking.
- The Green Key eco-label, an environmental certification for the tourism industry, was awarded to the hotel.