Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety, as well as environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
The hotel is Green Leaf accredited and audited to make sure it maintains a high level of environmental sustainability and community interaction.
RB activities and achievements of this hotel
- Asks hotel suppliers to decrease the amount of packaging in their deliveries
- Donates furniture, bedding and equipment to charity groups
- Has an energy-saving light switch that controls all lighting in guest rooms
- Implements TRIC (threat assessment, risk evaluation, incident response)
- Includes Responsible Business in all job descriptions
- Keeps Chief of Safety & Security managers on duty and conducts regular security training
- Plants trees annually
- Practices crisis management and communication
- Recycles paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, metal cans, oil, printer cartridges, batteries and metal hangers
- Trains staff in first aid and the Heart Start defibrillator
- Uses energy-efficient light bulbs and counter weight in elevators
- Works closely with the Ikhaya Lothando Home for Boys, situated in a local community in Tembisa
How guests can help
- Donate unwanted items like toiletries, towels and clothes (simply leave them for the housekeeping staff or drop them off at the reception desk).
- Offset the carbon footprint of your stay through Club Carlson, which cooperates with a carbon-free company for environmental projects.
- Put used batteries in one of the hotel's battery boxes.
- Reuse towels.
- Save energy by switching off appliances when they are not in use.