HOTEL PRACTICES RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Radisson Hotel Group's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety.
The hotel is engaged with local charity organization Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija. RMHC operates Care Mobil, a clinic on wheels for children under 18. Some of the best doctors in the country work with RMHC to provide planned medical care for children unable to visit medical specialists.
For the hotel’s efforts to create a sustainable environment, the hotel has received the Green Key and Green Light certificates. Green Key, an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments, awards companies the Green Key when they meet the criteria for a conservation-conscious organization and continue to do so. Green Light is an on-going voluntary program in which an organization commits to reducing its lighting energy use, thus reducing emissions.
Notable RB activities and achievements
- The hotel has gone even further by supporting the Art for Japan auction, organized in cooperation with the International Red Cross. Latvian photographers and artists donated 54 works of art to this cause, raising the most money ever in the history of Latvian charity auctions.
- Every year, Radisson Blu hotels in Riga organize a movie and entertainment day to help socially unprotected children escape their daily routine. The children enjoy a spectacular Riga tour from the Skypoint on Radisson Blu Hotel Latvija's 27th floor, complete with a quiz and small awards. Afterward, they are invited to the hotel's largest conference room and treated to a light lunch and cartoon with popcorn, followed by ice cream, games and creative workshops.
- For the past 2 years, all the hotels in Riga have joined forces and participated in the Big Spring Cleanup, cleaning up the park around the children's hospital.
- After renovations, the hotel donated used furniture in good condition to houses and orphanages. During Responsible Business Action Month, the hotel employees take part in a blood donation day and different fundraising events to support people in need and to promote a healthy way of living.
- Through conservation efforts since 2010, the hotel has reduced its energy consumption by 24.7%.
- Installing a building management system to ensure energy-efficient operation of technical systems
- Collecting used batteries
- Constant upgrading of ventilation and cooling systems to save energy
- Donating small guest-room amenities to orphanages
- Exchanging towels only on guest request
- Using a key card to operate the main light switch in hotel rooms to reduce the consumption of electricity
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Changing to low-energy bulbs and LED lighting
- Pre-sorting waste to reduce its volume
- Saving electricity and water with a preventive maintenance program
- Preparing soup for people from social houses every week
- Providing ongoing RB training for all employees