Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Carlson Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety. The Radisson Blu Palace Hotel is engaged with both local charity groups and Carlson Rezidor's corporate international charity organization, the World Childhood Foundation, whose mission is to defend the rights of children and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Green Key certification
The Radisson Blu Palace Hotel has proudly possessed Green Key Gold status since 2011. Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to leisure organizations and facilities that meet an extensive array of environmental requirements. Besides environmental demands, the criteria includes regulations on policy, action plans, education and communication. Organizations must demonstrate responsibility for surroundings and society, and are awarded either the bronze, silver or gold award, depending on their level of compliance.
The hotel sponsors the KNRM (The Royal Netherlands Sea Rescue Institution) by asking every guest to donate €1 per visit. Every year, we organize a Palace Buddies Day for a particular group in need. In 2012, we served lunch to 80 residents of a local retirement home, the Jeroen from Noordwijk. In 2013, we served as the lunch location for Cars for Charity, a rally with exclusive cars for children who deal with serious health problems. In 2011, 2012 and 2013, we organized a spinning marathon, in which last year's event had over 300 participants. In total, we raised over €25,000 for Spieren voor Spieren, a Dutch organization dedicated to children with muscle diseases. We offer vouchers during the year for charity and special events such as Stichting Opkikker.
Think Planet is Carlson Rezidor’s ambitious new energy-saving initiative, designed to help hotels reduce energy consumption by 25% over the next 5 years. The goal of Think Planet is to minimize running costs, energy consumption and pollution associated with energy use. It was launched as a company-wide project for all Carlson Rezidor hotels. All hotels have introduced the Think Planet training videos to staff, and Rezidor’s technical experts are constantly at work to optimize guests’ comfort and the hotel’s performance. Responsible Business is not just about the environment, but also focuses on the social and economic issues that affect the local community.
Waste generation control
- Reduce: Hotel suppliers are asked to decrease packaging; portion packs are avoided when possible.
- Reuse: We print papers on both sides and donate used furniture, bedding and equipment to charity.
- Recycle: The hotel collects paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, metal cans, oil, printer cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, CD-ROMs, magnetic cards, batteries and metal hangers for recycling.
- A keycard-operated main switch controls lights in guest rooms.
- Elevators have counter weights to reduce energy consumption.
- Energy-efficient (LED) light bulbs are used throughout the hotel.
How guests help
- Become a Club Carlson member and help environmental projects in cooperation with a carbon offset organization.
- Donate unwanted items such as toiletries, towels and clothes by leaving them with housekeeping staff or dropping them off at the reception desk.
- Return corks to the hotel restaurant for recycling.
- Reuse towels.
- Save energy by switching off appliances when they are not in use.
- Use public transport.