HOTEL PRACTICES RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being and health and safety. The Radisson Blu Palace Hotel is engaged with both local charity groups and Radisson Hotel Group's corporate international charity organization, the World Childhood Foundation, whose mission is to defend the rights of children and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Green Key certificationThe Radisson Blu Palace Hotel has proudly possessed Green Key Gold status since 2011. Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to leisure organizations and facilities that meet an extensive array of environmental requirements. Besides environmental demands, the criteria includes regulations on policy, action plans, education and communication. Organizations must demonstrate responsibility for surroundings and society and are awarded either the bronze, silver or gold award, depending on their level of compliance.
Community involvementThe hotel sponsors the KNRM (The Royal Netherlands Sea Rescue Institution) by asking every guest to donate EUR 1 at check-out. Once a year, we present KNRM with a check. Every year, we organize a Palace Buddies Day for a particular group in need. In 2012, we served lunch to 80 residents of a local retirement home, the Jeroen from Noordwijk. In 2013, we served as the lunch location for Cars for Charity, a rally with exclusive cars for children who deal with serious health problems. In 2015, volunteers from the hotel staff helped clean up a park for the elderly people nearby, and in 2016, we invited 55 residents of the Marente Wooncentrum Bolero residential center for a lunch in our hotel.
Since 2011, we’ve been organizing an annual spinning marathon, and last year’s event (15 Nov 2016) had over 300 participants, raising EUR 16,000 for the Edwin van der Sar Foundation. In total, we have raised over EUR 79, 000 during these marathons for charity organizations. We’re planning on raising a lot more in the upcoming years!
Think PlanetThink Planet is Radisson Hotel Group’s ambitious new energy-saving initiative, designed to help hotels reduce energy consumption by 25% over the next 5 years. The goal of Think Planet is to minimize running costs, energy consumption and pollution associated with energy use. It was launched as a company-wide project for all Radisson Hotel Group. All hotels have introduced the Think Planet training videos to staff, and Rezidor’s technical experts are constantly at work to optimize guests’ comfort and the hotel’s performance. Responsible Business is not just about the environment, but also focuses on the social and economic issues that affect the local community.
Waste generation control
- Reduce: Hotel suppliers are asked to decrease packaging; portion packs are avoided when possible.
- Reuse: We print papers on both sides and donate used furniture, bedding and equipment to charity.
- Recycle: The hotel collects paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, metal cans, oil, printer cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, CD-ROMs, magnetic cards, batteries and metal hangers for recycling.
- A keycard-operated main switch controls lights in guest rooms.
- Elevators have counter weights to reduce energy consumption.
- Energy-efficient (LED) light bulbs are used throughout the hotel.
How guests help
- Donate unwanted items such as toiletries, towels and clothes by leaving them with housekeeping staff or dropping them off at the reception desk.
- Return corks to the hotel restaurant for recycling.
- Reuse towels.
- Save energy by switching off appliances when they are not in use.
- Use public transport.