Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Oslo

Oslo Cathedral


Oslo Cathedral is the most important church in the Norwegian capital and is situated in the city center, next to the big square called Stortorvet. It is often used for major national and royal events. In 2001, the royal wedding of Crown Prince Haakon of Norway and Crown Princess Mette-Marit took place here.

The cathedral was built in the 1960´s and is a cruciform church designed in the Dutch Baroque architectural style. It was previously called Our Saviour’s Church, but got renamed to Oslo Cathedral when Oslo city celebrated its 900-year anniversary. The church is the third cathedral in Oslo’s history, and was built as a replacement for the Holy Trinity Church, which in its time was a replacement for St. Hallvard’s Cathedral. 
 

Sweeping renovations

Notable for its lack of ornamentation due to country’s weak economy at the time of its construction, the cathedral has undergone substantial renovations over the centuries. The renovation led by architect Alexis de Chateaneuf in the 1850’s is considered the most significant, together with the ones made by Arnestein Arneberg towards the city’s anniversary in 1950. Today its interior features beautiful stained glass windows by Emanuel Vigeland and ceiling paintings by Hugo Lous Mohr. 
 

Concerts and services

As well as regular services, the church houses a range of concerts and themed services, they even have services in English from time to time. It is open all week during the day, except Fridays when it opens in the afternoon and stays open until Saturday morning. If you go for a traditional Sunday service, follow up with another nice Sunday activity, visiting the market on Birkelunden, only a short tram ride away.

The church is a ten minute walk from the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel, Oslo. The hotel’s central location and elegant style makes it a convenient base for anyone wishing to visit Oslo Cathedral and many other popular attractions in the Norwegian capital, such as the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History, The Opera House and the Munch Museum.