LEARN ABOUT OUR HOTEL’S RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS PRACTICES IN FIJI
MAKING FIJI BETTER THROUGH RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
At the Radisson Blu Resort in Fiji, we take our Responsible Business commitments very seriously. We strive to live by the Radisson Hospitality Responsible Business vision to put our community and the environment first.
The resort is committed to fostering productive and positive relationships within the local community, aiming toward long-term sustainability of the entire organization. To meet that goal, the Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island has a Responsible Business Committee that proactively develops and delivers community outreach initiatives.
Responsible Business achievements:
- 98% Fijian Ethical Resort with the core value of doing business responsibly
- 97% Fijian employees
- 60% female staff
- 33 local schools supported by the Adopt a School Program
- Dedicated Responsible Business volunteers in the community
- Energy savings of 20%
- Equal-opportunity employer
- FJD 386,000 in community donations in three years
- Largest roof-mounted hotel solar-panel system in the South Pacific
- Passionate team of 391 local hoteliers
- Saved over 10,600 trees by going solar
- Sponsor of the local women’s rugby team Nadi Blazers
- Water stewardship — 40% better water consumption than other resorts in Fiji
ADOPT A SCHOOL PROGRAM
The Radisson Blu Resort Fiji is committed to being a responsible member of the local community. As such, we have started an “Adopt a School” initiative that is run voluntarily by team members to work with local schools in ways that will raise educational standards. Projects include library set-ups, installation of computer labs and distribution of educational resources. We are currently working with 33 primary and secondary schools, and due to the ongoing generosity of Radisson Blu guests, this number is ever increasing.
HOW THE PROGRAM IS FUNDED
The program is funded through optional guest donations of FJD 10 that are added to every participating guest’s account and the weekly Duck Derby and Frog Races held at the resort. Through these donations, we raise about FJD 100,000 yearly. We have a committee that ensures all donated money is allocated to specific projects.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP
We accept monetary donations, which can be placed in our Adopt a School donations box located at reception. We also accept physical donations. These items can be dropped off at reception, and they will then be distributed to students in our adopted schools. When the opportunity arises, we also distribute to local villages and local kindergartens. Please see our list below of examples of physical donations that we accept.
- Age-appropriate games for kindergarten classes, fuzzy felts, wooden puzzles, etc.
- Library books: fiction or nonfiction suitable for boys and girls at primary or secondary level (Books do not have to be new — secondhand books are acceptable.)
- School backpacks: always well received; any color or pattern as there are no regulations regarding this
- School supplies: blank exercise books, pens/pencils, erasers/rulers, old calculators, pencil cases, coloring/activity books, etc.
- Sporting equipment: water bottles, balls for rugby, soccer, netball and volleyball (uninflated so that they don’t take up too much room), and softball/baseball bats and balls
- Wall clocks for classrooms
SOME OF OUR ACHIEVEMENTS
- 29 new library set-ups
- Donation of 17 brand-new sewing machines to various schools within the western division of Fiji
- Donation of kitchen equipment for vocational training
- Distribution of more than 650 computers
- Donation of textbooks to Fiji National University
- Donation of two industrial ovens and FJD 6,000 worth of essential kitchen equipment to Rata Navula Vocational College
- Full funding of an Early Learning Center building in an interior village
- Linen and amenity donations to Nadi Hospital
- Ongoing support through food donations to children’s homes, including Saint Mina and Loloma Home
- Regular vocational barista training for our local college hospitality students
Learn more at our Adopt a School Facebook page.
At the Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, we are passionate about reducing our impact on the environment, aiming to minimize emissions and use the natural Fijian environment when possible. One of our biggest environmental achievements was the installation of the largest hotel roof-mounted solar power system in the South Pacific in early 2015. The system provides up to 20% of the resort’s energy required on a daily basis.
The resort works collectively with EarthCheck, the world’s leading scientific benchmarking, certification and advisory group in the tourism industry, to gather exact figures on the effectiveness of the resort’s CSR contributions. Figures show that the resort was able to save almost 11,000 trees since adding the solar panels. Water and resource consumption is also a priority for the Radisson Blu Resort Fiji. The resort’s potable water consumption per night at the resort was 595 liters, which is 40.35% better than the average hotel’s performance in Fiji. Our carbon footprint is 11.8 kilograms of CO2 emissions, 20% better than the average of other Fiji hotels.
OUR ONGOING ENVIRONMENTAL INITIATIVES
- Earth Hour: Each year the resort hosts a candlelit evening, and local school choirs are invited to perform and celebrate Fijian culture, raising awareness to promote energy savings.
- Plant a Tree: As part of this joint project with Denarau Corporation Ltd. in planting mangroves on a private beach area, our staff planted over 200 seedlings to prevent soil erosion along the shore area.
- Water Day: Our maintenance team goes to adopted schools to repair leaking taps and cisterns. They are also installing new toilet facilities and a new water tank at two schools.
- World Clean Up Day: Each year the hotel participates in rubbish cleanup in the local community, contributing to the cleanliness of Fiji’s environment.
As a resort, we continue to work toward new projects that will help reduce our carbon footprint and deliver a better future for our precious environment.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
Listed below are achievements and awards received by Radisson Blu Resort Fiji.
SILVER EARTHCHECK CERTIFICATION
The Radisson Blu Resort Fiji successfully achieved the Silver EarthCheck Certification in early 2016, placing the resort as a leader in the unique worldwide group of sustainable tourism operators, certified to the EarthCheck Company Silver Standard.
RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS HOTEL OF THE YEAR
The Radisson Blu Resort Fiji was presented with the Responsible Business Hotel of the Year Award at the Carlson Rezidor Asia Pacific Business Conference 2016 Awards night. This event is an annual occasion paying tribute to the top-performing hotel teams and individuals from across the region. Our resort was recognized for showing attributes of a business that cares for the local Fijian community as well as the environment for the second time in three years.