Sharjah oceanfront resort strives to be a responsible business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children's rights, health and safety, and environmental improvements.
The hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
This hotel's RB activities and achievements include the following:
- The resort collects and recycles aluminum cans, bottles and paper.
- The resort converts eggshells, vegetable and fruit peelings and food scraps into fertilizer for its gardens.
- The resort converts empty plastic containers from various foods and chemicals into pots to propagate plants for the gardens.
- The resort uses energy-efficient light bulbs.
- The hotel staff and management plant trees to support the effort to "Go Green!"
- The resort uses grey-water recycling tanks to irrigate its gardens and capture backwash water from the swimming pools, which is collected and used for washing the resort's vehicles.
- The resort collects clothing donations for victims of catastrophes.
- The resort has been an Active Corporate Member of the Emirate Environmental Group (EEG) since 1998.
- The resort participates annually in EEG’s can collection drive and Clean Up UAE campaign.
- The resort supports Sharjah City for Humanitarian Services through activities such as the sale of orphan-made products, the Red Crescent charity box for hospitals and the Noble Quran & Sunnah Est. charity box for poor families.
- A medical check-up program is provided for hotel staff.
- Resort staff receives training in first aid, firefighting, Responsible Business practices, safety and security.
- The resort's public areas are monitored by closed-circuit cameras.
- The resort works with food suppliers that are HACCP certified.
- Best Garden in Sharjah from Municipality of Sharjah in March 2016
- Responsible Business 2015 Award by Carlson Rezidor for active participation
- Certificate of Appreciation from EEG for 2nd runner-up Battery Collection Campaign 2014
- Certificate of Appreciation from EEG for Top 10 Beverage Carton Collection Campaign 2014
- Best Garden in Sharjah from Municipality of Sharjah in February 2014
- Best Waste Water Management Award by Green Tourism in 2012
- Guests can support local orphans by purchasing their products, displayed at Chillout Café.
- Guests can conserve water and limit the use of chemical detergents by rehanging towels on the rack to reuse.