Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility!
Hotel practices Responsible Business
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Carlson Rezidor's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being, and health and safety.
This hotel is engaged with both local charity groups, Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Latvija and the international charity organization supported by Carlson Rezidor, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the World Childhood Foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world. RHMC Latvija operates Care Mobile, a clinic on wheels for children under 18. They cooperate closely with some of the best doctors in the country and with different municipalities in order to provide planned medical care for kids who are unable to visit medical specialists.
Hotel receives Green Key and Green Light certificates
The Green Key is an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments. Organizations are awarded the Green Key according to technical management criteria and criteria on communication and must undergo regular on-site checks.
Green Light is an ongoing voluntary program in which private and public organizations make a commitment to the European Commission to reduce their lighting energy usage, thus reducing polluting emissions. Green Light was launched in February 2000.
Responsible Business activities and achievements of the hotel
- Building Management System to ensure energy-efficient operation of technical systems
- Collecting used batteries and fluorescent bulbs
- Constant upgrade of ventilation and cooling systems in order to save energy
- Main switch of each guest room operated with key-card in order to reduce electricity consumption
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Ongoing change to low-energy bulbs and LED
- Preventive maintenance program in order to save electricity and water
- Exchanging towels only on guest request
- Pre-sorting and reducing the volume of waste
- Offering our guests the opportunity to participate in Responsible Business activities using the “Green Housekeeping” program, which promotes a break from housekeeping services for the day
- Donating food packages, household goods, clothes, toys, shoes and baby clothes from hotel employees to disabled people, indigent people and families in the regional establishment Incukalna, an association for disabled and indigent people
- Donating small bathroom amenities (shampoos, conditioners, slippers, etc.) to orphanages Integration Centre Bernu Oaze (association "Orphans Car Centre, Together With Us"); Tiskadu Orphanage and Baltinavas Christian Special boarding school
- Donating pillows and protective sheets to State Social Care Centre „Riga”
- Donating blankets, linen and terry to home for aged in Ergli regional community
- Donating beds and bed-toppers to State Fire Department and State Social Care Centre „Riga”
- Regular donations of textiles and toys to the local Red Cross
- Encouraging business partners to support Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija and Care Mobile
- Monthly participation with Malta Cross Soup Kitchen
- Supporting charity organization "Festivalu fonds"
- In August 2013, the Radisson Blu cycling team organized a charity cycling ride, The Baltic Way, and raised EUR 10 000. This money was handed over to Ronald McDonald House Charities Latvija and will be used to provide health care for more than 300 children in Latvija.
- In September 2013, in cooperation with the Radisson Blu Hotel Latvia and the Radisson Blu Elizabete Hotel, the hotel organized an afternoon for children from “Ziemeli” orphanage.
- Hosted Big Cleaning Day on April 25, 2014 together with Radisson Blu Hotels in Riga.
- In September 2014, the Radisson Blu Ridzene Hotel came together with the Radisson Blu Hotel Latvia and the Radisson Blu Elizabete Hotel to support charity organization Ziedot.lv and their project “For the little hearts’’ for children who are suffering from diseases that prevent them from experiencing the joy of movement.
- To promote a healthy lifestyle, nearly 40 employees from Radisson Blu Hotels in Riga spent a sunny Sunday together and showed great team spirit during the annual Nike Riga Run.
- Blood donation day for Radisson Blu hotels in Riga – we invited a specially equipped bus from the State Blood Donor Centre to give employees the opportunity to donate their blood and help (September 2014).
- To support children from "Ziemeli" orphanage, the Radisson Blu Ridzene Hotel offers guests the chance to purchase picture frames made from natural materials, including photos, which have been collected, put together and made by the children. All profits from sold pieces of art go directly to their creators.
- Providing ongoing Responsible Business training for all employees