Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility!
HOTEL PRACTICES RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of Radisson Hotel Group's broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, environmental improvement, employee well-being, and health and safety.
This hotel is engaged with both local charity groups, Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Latvija and the international charity organization supported by Radisson Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the World Childhood Foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world. RHMC Latvija operates Care Mobile, a clinic on wheels for children under 18. They cooperate closely with some of the best doctors in the country and with different municipalities to provide planned medical care for kids who are unable to visit medical specialists.
Hotel receives Green Key and Green Light certificates
The Green Key is an international eco-label for leisure and tourism establishments. Organizations are awarded the Green Key according to technical management criteria and criteria on communication and must undergo regular on-site checks.
Green Light is an ongoing voluntary program in which private and public organizations make a commitment to the European Commission to reduce their lighting energy usage, thus reducing polluting emissions. Green Light was launched in February 2000.
Responsible Business activities and achievements of the hotel
- Building Management System to ensure energy-efficient operation of technical systems
- Collecting used batteries and fluorescent bulbs
- Constant upgrade of ventilation and cooling systems to save energy
- Main switch of each guest room operated with key-card to reduce electricity consumption
- Monitoring and measuring consumption of water and electricity
- Ongoing change to low-energy bulbs and LED
- Preventive maintenance program to save electricity and water
- Exchanging towels only on guest request
- Pre-sorting and reducing the volume of waste
- Offering guests the opportunity to participate in the Green Housekeeping program, which promotes a break from housekeeping services for the day
- Hotel employees donated food packages, household goods, toys and clothes to disabled and indigent people, including families in the regional establishment Incukalna.
- The hotel donated small bathroom amenities to orphanages: Bernu Oaze (association "Orphans Care Centre, Together With Us"), Tiskadu Orphanage and Baltinavas Christian Special Boarding School.
- The hotel donated pillows and protective sheets to State Social Care Centre, Riga.
- The hotel donated blankets, linens and terries to home for the aged in Ergli community.
- The hotel donated beds and bed toppers to State Fire Department and State Social Care Centre, Riga.
- The hotel regularly donates textiles and toys to the local Red Cross.
- The hotel encourages business partners to support RMHC Latvija and Care Mobile.
- The hotel participates monthly with the Malta Cross Soup Kitchen.
- The hotel supports the charity organization "Festivalu fonds."
- In August 2013, the Radisson Blu cycling team organized a charity cycling ride, The Baltic Way, and raised EUR 10 000 for RMHC Latvija to provide health care for more than 300 children.
- In September 2013, in cooperation with the Radisson Blu Latvija Hotel and the Radisson Blu Elizabete Hotel, the hotel organized an afternoon for children from Ziemeli Orphanage.
- Together the Radisson Blu hotels in Riga hosted the Big Cleaning Day on April 25, 2014.
- In September 2014, the hotel came together with the Latvija and Elizabete Hotels to support Ziedot.lv and their project “For the little hearts.”
- To promote a healthy lifestyle, nearly 40 employees from Radisson Blu hotels in Riga showed great team spirit during the annual Nike Riga Run.
- The Radisson Blu hotels in Riga invited a specially equipped bus from the State Blood Donor Centre to give employees the opportunity to donate blood (Sep 2014).
- The hotel sells picture frames made from natural materials, including photos, which have been collected, put together and made by children at Ziemeli Orphanage. All profits from the pieces go directly to their creators.
- Providing ongoing Responsible Business training for all employees