Responsible Business - Let's take responsibility
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Rezidor Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety and environmental improvements.
Rezidor hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization supported by the Rezidor Hotel Group, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
In 2007, the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel became the city’s first hotel to be awarded a star in the government’s Enterprise Eco-dynamic program. The property has continuously improved environmental actions and integrated sustainability into daily operations. It now holds 2 stars and is working toward the final star.
The Radisson Blu Royal Hotel is also proud to be the city’s first hotel to obtain the Green Key, an international eco-label awarded to tourist establishments for their environmental processes and performances. To obtain certification, hotels must have reduced their ecological footprint and they must demonstrate an ambitious environmental policy.
Since 2011, the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels has carried the Diversity Label given by the Belgian government to recognize a commitment to fostering a workplace that acknowledges, respects and values all differences.
Think Planet is Rezidor’s ambitious new energy saving initiative, designed to help hotels reduce energy consumption by 25% over the next five years by minimizing running costs, energy consumption and pollution associated with energy use. It was launched as a company-wide project for all Rezidor Group hotels. Staff engagement in Think Planet is tremendous. All hotels have introduced the Think Planet training videos to staff. Rezidor’s technical experts are constantly at work to optimize guests’ comfort and the building’s performance.
- Once a year, the Radisson Blu staff plants trees.
- The hotel donates to the local charity NASCI and orphanages.
- The hotel supports the World Childhood Foundation by running in the Brussels 20K, organizing concerts and selling soup at the Brussels Christmas Market.
- Hotel staff reports the number of copies and prints made each month.
- Hotel suppliers are asked to decrease the amount of packaging in their deliveries.
- Over 70% of the hotel's staff uses public transport to help reduce urban air pollution.
- Corks for "bouchon de liege" are recycled at both restaurants.
- Gently used furniture, bedding and equipment are donated to charity.
- Papers are printed recto-verso.
- Paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, metal cans, oil, printer cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, CD-ROMs, magnetic cards, batteries and metal hangers are recycled.
- Elevators work with counter weight to reduce energy consumption.
- Guest rooms have a general switch off and on for lighting.
- The property uses energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Staff is trained in first aid and the Heart Start defibrillator.
- The property keeps a security manager on duty and conducts regular security training.
- The property follows the TRIC formula: threat assessment, risk evaluation, incident response.
- Bring corks to a hotel restaurant for recycling.
- Donate unwanted items like toiletries, towels and clothes; just leave them for housekeeping or drop off at reception.
- Offset a stay as a Club Carlson member and help environmental projects in cooperation with a carbon-free company.
- Put used batteries in one of the hotel's battery boxes.
- Reuse towels.
- Save energy by switching off lights and appliances when not in use.
- Take public transportation.