Responsible Business – Let’s take responsibility
Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the Rezidor Hotel Group’s broader commitment to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Each hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety and environmental improvements.
Hotels are engaged with both local charity groups and Rezidor’s corporate international charity organization, the World Childhood Foundation. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and to promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children at risk all over the world.
Sample of this hotel’s RB activities and achievements
Environmentally friendly initiatives:
- All guest rooms and public areas are fitted with restrictor systems to avoid waste.
- All hotel staff and in-house guests participate in annual Earth Hour.
- Freon gas is trapped in cylinders rather than released into the environment.
- The hotel is Green Key Certified.
- The lights in all public areas are fitted with timers.
- Hotel staff provide yearly blood donations to a local welfare society upon request.
- The hotel participates annually in Iftar-for-a-Cause for disabled and orphaned children.
- The hotel participates in Give Away While You Stay, which provides donations for disabled children in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Yearly donations of discarded linens are made to local charities.
- Al Iwan restaurant promotes the Food for Thought concept.
- Health and safety programs for guests and employees are created by FLHS members.
- Safety information is provided through posters, charts and information boards.
- The hotel ensures ongoing HACCP system implementation.
- An ongoing recycling program is active in all departments.
- Energy and water conservation programs for the hotel and staff house are constantly monitored.
- The hotel provides on-the-job training in Responsible Business concepts to create further awareness.
- The Living and Leading Responsible Business Program is an ongoing and mandatory activity for all hotel employees.
- Take part in the Give Away While You Stay program for disabled children; contact the front office for details.
- Turn off the light before leaving the room and keep equipment, such as laptop computers, on energy-saving mode.
- Participate in the Towel Replacement Program by simply putting your towel back on the rack for reuse, thus helping to conserve water.