Taking responsibility for the environment and local community has been an important part of the broader commitment of the Radisson Hotel Group to sustainable development for many years. In 2001, this commitment was fortified and placed within the scope of a program called Responsible Business (RB). Our hotel has a unique RB Action Plan covering areas such as community outreach, cultural heritage, employee and children’s rights, health and safety and environmental improvements.
The hotel is engaged with both local charity groups and the corporate international charity organization, World Childhood Foundation, supported by the Radisson Hotel Group. The mission of the foundation is to defend the rights of the child and promote better living conditions for vulnerable and exploited children all over the world.
Green Key is an eco-label awarded to over 2,100 establishments in 41 countries. It is a non-governmental, non-profit, independent program. It is recognized and supported by the World Tourism Organization and UNEP. The Radisson Sonya Hotel, St. Petersburg is proud to be among hotels in Russia awarded this label.
The goal of Green Key is to raise the awareness of hotel staff and clients, increase the use of sustainable methods of operation and technology, run ecologically sound and responsible businesses, and thereby reduce resources and energy usage.
Activities and achievements of the hotel
- Annual participation in RB Action Month, including clothing drive, fundraising for the World Childhood Foundation and monthly food donation to the St. Petersburg Canteen for the Homeless
- Annual participation in World Cleanup Day
- Donation in 2013 of bed linens, pillows and duvets to Hospice No. 8
- Motion sensor-activated lighting
- Preventative maintenance program
- Recording and monitoring of gas, electricity and water consumption and waste